The locality of Cortina s.s.d.v. is first mentioned in a document dating back over 700 years. The settlement is probably even older as acknowledged in the document. The names Curtinego, Curtinie, or Cortine, mentioned in Latin documents from the late 13th and early 14th centuries, found their German equivalents in Curtinie or Cortinie in 1288.
The name probably stems from a corruption of the Latin curtus dominica, meaning court of the king or lord.
With only 600 inhabitants, today Cortina s.s.d.v. is among the smallest communities in Alto Adige – South Tyrol. It is the last village with a German-speaking majority before the southern provincial border with Trentino and the only village in the South Tyrolean Lowlands/’Unterland’ situated in the middle of the valley floor, surrounded by fruit orchards and vineyards near the Adige River.
Our surroundings are both alpine and Mediterranean. The cultivation and growth of a wide spectrum of vineyards is made possible by different geographical positions, fertile grounds, and various microclimatic conditions.